PM interacts with Indian Community in Washington DC
- Washington: Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, today interacted with the Indian community in Washington DC.
- He said that the Indian diaspora rejoiced whenever there was good news from India, and wanted India to scale newer heights. He appreciated the role played by the diaspora in contributing towards the American economy. The Prime Minister said that people in India are now getting opportunities and the right environment. He expressed confidence that soon, they would transform the country.
- The Prime Minister asserted that in the last three years, there has not been a single allegation of corruption on the Union Government.
- The Prime Minister spoke of the role of technology in reducing corruption. Elaborating on the benefits of Direct Benefit Transfer, he said this has helped in better targeting of subsidy and eliminated leakage to a large degree. The Prime Minister complimented families which have given up their LPG subsidy. He laid out the vision of providing LPG connections to 5 crore poor households. "When I think of a developed India, I think of a healthy India, particularly the good health of the women and children of our nation", he added.
- The Prime Minister said that through technology-driven governance, a modern India is being created. He said that when appropriate policies and governance are in place, the aspirations of the people of India can be achieved.
- The Prime Minister spoke about terrorism, and said the world has now understood the threat it poses. In this context, the Prime Minister spoke of the surgical strikes carried out by India recently.
- The Prime Minister also appreciated the role of the Ministry of External Affairs, and in particular, the External Affairs Minister Smt. Sushma Swaraj, in helping people in distress, across the world.